Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Always On!

After reviewing the reading for this week - Always On and Mobile Design Tips - concerning mobile access to libraries and how exponentially that has changed and grown over the years, I couldn't help thinking of how much this has affected how I personally use and interact with libraries.  Specifically, it made me think a lot about both the University of Kansas library (where I went to undergrad) and also the small public library I practically lived in as a child and young adult.

These days, when I need a book for school reasons, or when I'm just looking for a good new novel to read, I always check the library catalog for availability from my house or office before going in to the library itself.  If the book I want is unavailable, I reserve it online.  I do the same when I want to renew an item I have checked out.

The readings from this point out other ways patrons can use remote access to the library, such as reserving meeting rooms, signing up for programs and activities, and even checking the availability of computer workstations.  It got me thinking how much I would have loved this ease of access in college. No more trekking to the library to find every book you need for that paper checked out.  No more waiting aimlessly for a computer to open up!

I don't have a smartphone, so I have yet to enter the world of having all this information a click away in my purse, but even just being able to do these things from my work or home computer has made my life easier and my interactions with the library smoother.  I'm glad that I'm old enough to remember what it's like to use an actual card catalog, but I'm also glad I'm still able to enjoy having pretty much the library has to offer at my fingertips.



No comments:

Post a Comment